Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Looking For Jesus...

He was born, 
          in a setting that was...less than...by any definition of the phrase.
As a child, 
         he wandered into places unexpected 
                    and his frazzled parents had to track him down.
As an adult 
        he said we could find him among...the least of these... 

So, I looked that up....the term, "least of these" and it refers to those lesser distinguished...in rank and excellence: of persons.

And I thought...
- Why are we ranking others...and obviously placing ourselves somewhere within that ranking?  I'm sure that wasn't what he hoped from us, way back in the garden.  Yet he knew we would be doing it anyway, 
and just said, while we are in this habit, we should look for him among
the least.
- Then I thought...this also can be subjective...What if it means that in addition to those who are usually considered to be in this grouping...the poor, disenfranchised or ignored by society.  (Because you know it's  way easier to criticize Society for its lack of caring, than to look at ourselves)
...What if it also relates to my personal rankings of people?  And "the least of these" is related to anyone who has not been helpful, approachable or kind to me.
      ...Then, I have to deal with my own determination of anyone or any place I don't appreciate very much...they now have become "the least of these" in my world...perhaps. 
- So, lastly, I have come to understand, that if I'm truly honest about looking for Jesus...
He will probably be found in places I would rather not go 
                         and among people I would rather not be around.
                                And it will probably frustrate me to find him there.

Unless, I begin to see it all differently.
                           Unless, I learn to see the image of God in everyone...
                                                                           no exceptions.
I know this to be true...
I will never get there on my own.
It's not in me.
Therefore, I will need his help, if my hope is
To keep finding him
                       and to join him in whatever he's doing because...
That's where he was in birth, 
                                         in life, 
                                               And in the end, even in death, 
                                                            there he was again, 
                                                                      between two thieves.

So it only makes sense, 
              that during these days of broken-ness, confusion, disease and pain 
He is at work in ways we can't imagine.  
                      In people and situations we would not be drawn to 
                               With a level of power and completeness that we have never seen before.

It's time to get busy in prayer that he would help me
to see his face,
                                                       among those in the shadow of what has been
                                                                       invisible to my eyes....until now.












No comments:

Post a Comment