Monday, July 11, 2022

Between Faith and Sight

My friend was in that space between here and there.
This world had become shadowy and thin, and the next life was taking on form and substance.
I've seen it many times.
His eyes flickered open and shut.  
His chin raised, and a smile swept his face to acknowledge my presence 
when I said, "Hello."
With a bit of a trembling heart, I asked him, "Has Jesus been near these days?"
He nodded.
"What has he been saying to you?"
"He said that I'm forgiven and that he loves me."  
He paused, gathered another breath and then, "...and that he'll meet me forever and ever."
These words came with
struggle but also with great certainty, gentleness and comfort 
held in them.
"Anything else?" I asked.
Again he nodded.
"He said...he's going to make me more like myself."
Then he closed his eyes, lowered his head and slept.
AND the next day, he went home.






No comments:

Post a Comment